Tuesday, May 21, 2013

"I think Palembang is..."

I spoke to few foreigners who visited Palembang, some for working purpose, some for leisure.
Almost 90% of them said "I think Palembang is nice" when I asked how do they think about this city.

Well, I think they are just being nice to us as locals. The point is, they live in here temporarily and of course they don't want to offend anyone because of their subjective opinion.

I honestly don't like this city. Not hating it. I can't completely hating it since I was born and raised here. I have my beloved parents, my family, and lovely house.

I don't like it because, it lacks of entertainment, probably that's the most reason for me. If I try to dine out, I get less options on the places to go. I only watch movies from 1 cinema in the town. I only go to 1 to 2 malls in here. And we finally have Starbucks in 2013.

I experienced that the way local people joke to each other is somewhat rude. I hung out few times with several dudes that went to same high school with me. And all that I can say is, I'm not going to hang out with them anymore.
The way they talk and joke around, it almost feel like they have to offend someone. I personally think they are not grown up enough.
(Which this topic will lead to the mentality of local people think about getting married at the young age but still like to 'have fun' even they already have kids.)

Local people here, like to bump their body into yours! Seriously! Even the space next to them is still big enough for them to dodge, they just don't want to. They have to hit your shoulder, at least.
And this is the least thing I can tolerate, because I DON'T LIKE PEOPLE SCRUBBING ME WITH NO REASON ESPECIALLY STRANGERS!

You'll probably think that my reason is very naive and selfish. But if you have been living abroad, in those modern city, like San Francisco, New York, LA, Tokyo, Singapore, etc. you'll know that my reasons make a thousand senses.

So, for those foreigners (esp. who live to work here in Palembang), please please please, tell me your HONEST opinion about Palembang!
And if you are scared that your honest opinion is going to upset some people, feel free to spill it out at my e-mail, fjutamulia(at)gmail(dot)com.


No comments:

Post a Comment