Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Vesak Day

On May 25th, we celebrate Vesak Day. It's one of the most major celebration and important day for the Buddhist. If I wrap it up in much simpler words, "It's like the Christmas for the Buddhist."

I can't say that I'm a good Buddhist. I don't go to the Vihara (place to worship for Buddhist) often. In fact, I only visit the Vihara on the Vesak Day. When I was much younger, I went to Vihara with my dad and sis, and we followed the ceremony procession.
(Even though I would complained that the procession took too long and I begged my dad to took us home because I was hungry. Well, I was a kid back then!)

But nowadays, I skip the whole ceremony, procession, prayers, the whole thing. I no it sound bad, but I get annoyed with large crowd. But hey, at least I still have my heart and time reserved to give my prayers.
I believe no matter where you are, as long as you have the heart and faith, you can always pray.
This is not my excuse!

On this year Vesak Day, as usual, the biggest celebration is held at Vihara Dharmakirti. Probably, the biggest Vihara here in Palembang.


The exterior of Vihara Dharmakirti

Once arrived, first I went to the small Buddha statue that been placed with altar in the front yard. People will burn 3 incenses and then use it to pray facing the Buddha statue, after that I sticked the incenses on the big bowl (not actually 'bowl' but I can't find the exact words) filled with sands.
The rather 'smaller' Buddha statue in the front yard

Then I went through the left side of the building, there is this small alley filled with people, literally! It was so crowded even the ceremony already ended. Plus, that's the only way to reach the main hall.

Along the alley, there is another small Buddha statue with a lot of small stupas on the altar. There is also lots of candles placed on the right and left side. If I'm not mistaken, this is the praying corner dedicated to the family members that already passed away. Usually, each of the candle represent the deceased family member.
The altar with Buddha statue, small stupas, and candles. Dedicated for the deceased family members

After fighting through the sea of people in the alley, I made it to the back side to reach the main hall. The main hall located a bit in the back side. The main hall is really spacious. It's indoor, and it's much cooler than the outside. It has 3 big Buddha statues in gold. I felt quite serene once I stepped in, even there were numbers of people there. 
Everybody who wants to go in, is forbid to burn and bring incenses here. We have to take out our shoes too. People usually pray, or do some chanting, or meditate, or just sit around.
I spent some time here, pray and have a moment there. Took some pictures because I think it's just so beautiful.

Entrance to the main hall
The interior of the main hall
The 3 Buddhas
From the main hall, looking out

The coordinator of the Vihara had provide free lunch for the visitors. They put the food in the way back of the field, and you have to somewhat go down the stairs. I didn't get the food there, because there were way too many people.
This way down to the free lunch
Visitors, enjoying lunch and catching up with friends and families
Oh hey, there's a pagoda too! But I'm just too lazy to climb up

And after that, I headed back home.

This event is a yearly thing that I always try to keep up. The celebration definitely is different from when I was younger. Back then it felt much "conservative", while I think nowadays is much more "lively" and attracts more younger crowds. 

If you are not locals, but happen to visit Palembang during the Vesak celebration (usually it's on the month of May), please join and blend in. You don't have to be a Buddhist. Just feel the experience to get a glance of different side of our people.

Until next year!













1 comment:

  1. Wow!!! This sounds great!!
    I don't really celebrate anything like Christmas or things like that, but I love seeing the rest of the world's customs!
    Everything look so colourful and pretty!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete